In this episode, Chris Leonard talks with Dr. Mary Rose Scalo, a former Director of Special Services in Wayne and in Parsippany. Chris and Mary Rose discuss strategies for dealing with the heightened stress experienced by students, families, and staff during the holiday season and when transitioning back to school after the break.
- How to identify struggling students who may be falling through the cracks
- Tips for preventing a spike in school refusal following the break
- Why the holiday season is particularly difficult for special services staff members
- What makes it impossible for school staff to provide help to students over holiday breaks
- Recommendations for how to provide school-based services that meet the individual needs of each student AND take the pressure off school staff